Double-width MTCA Carrier Hub for physics applications
Foundation of the NAT-MCH-PHYS/ -PHYS80 is the NAT-MCH-M4 base board, which offers power and system management for MTCA systems with up to 12 AMCs (13 in a non-redundant system without 2nd MCH), up to four Cooling Units (two front and two rear CUs) and up to four Power Modules, which can be configured in various (redundant) configurations.
Furthermore, as the name implies, the NAT-MCH-PHYS/ -PHYS80 is designated for physics applications in MTCA.4 form factor and addresses the needs of high energy physics facilities regarding bandwidth, timing, and precision.
Generally, the NAT-MCH-PHYS/ -PHYS80 offers Gigabit Ethernet supporting port-based and tagged VLAN, Rapid Spanning Tree, as well as a port-based rate control via Fabric A. It also provides uplink ports on the front panel to interconnect to other systems.
Moreover, the NAT-MCH-PHYS is equipped with a NAT-MCH-PCIex48 HUB-Module providing PCIe Gen3 x4 links to each of the 12 AMCs in an MTCA system. The NAT-MCH-PHYS80 features the NAT-MCH-PCIex80 HUB-Module, which in addition features two x8 or one x16 link(s) towards an optional front panel uplink.
Both variants come with a specialized clock mezzanine: the NAT-MCH-CLK-PHYS is particularly designed for physics applications with very low jitter CLK1/CLK2 and fixed 100MHz PCIe clock. The front panel SMA connectors can be used to provide the internal clock to external devices or vice versa.
The NAT-MCH-PHYS80 supports on top a Rear Transition Modules and offers the possibility to connect to a µRTM-Backplane, the NAT-LLRF-Backplane.
CPU and Memory
IPMI and Compliance
Supported Fabrics and Compliance
Fabric A: GigaBit Ethernet switching
Fabrics D-G: PCIe Gen3
- X1 or x4 to 12 AMCs
- One x16 or two x8 to optical uplink (optional)
- x16 to RTM or to one AMC slot (requires backplane support)
Clock Distribution with NAT-MCH-CLK-PHYS
- CLK1 and CLK2 by special low jitter and low latency circuitry (NAT-MCH-CLK-PHYS)
- CLK3 fixed mean 100MHz PCIe clock (HCSL)
- Management of up to 13 AMCs, 4 Cooling Units, and 1-4 Power Modules
- Supports redundant architectures and fail-over procedure
- Support configurable emergency shutdown of AMCs or entire system
Shelf and System Manager
- For detached or stand-alone operation both managers are available on-board, hook-in for external managers via 1GbE port at front panel
Operating System and API
- 3 standard AMC LEDs
- 12 bi-colored LEDs for AMC slot states
- 2 bi-colored LEDs for Cooling Units
- 4 bi-colored LEDs for Power Modules
- 13 bi-colored LEDs for PCIe link status (failed, Gen1, Gen2, or Gen3)
Front Panel Connectors
- 2x 1GbE for management connection and Fabric A system up-link (load sharing supported)
- External clock reference (bi-directional)
- Serial and USB debug connector (console)
- Fabric D-G uplink (two x8 or one x16)
Double, full-size NAT-MCH with 16 port GbE switch, 48 port PCIe Gen3, and CLK-PHYS module
Double, full-size NAT-MCH with 16 port GbE switch, 80 port PCIe Gen3, and CLK-PHYS module
like -PHYS80 with additional eight optical uplinks for PCIe
like -PHYS80 with additional sixteen optical uplinks (either two x8 or one x16) for PCIe
|NAT-MCH-PCIECABO||fibre uplink cable for PCIe uplink|
|PCIe card terminating PCIe uplink|
Solutions / Applications
- High energy physics
- Energy industry
- Industrial automation
- Civil aviation
- Research and development
- Any other MTCA.4 application with high demands on precision and timing