COMExpress carrier with optional Backplane Manager for access to LLRF-Backplane and FPGA
Generally, an RTM is an optional expansion towards the rear side of the chassis e.g., to increase the number of interfaces, add storage capacity or processing power etc. without populating a further slot from the front side. Two types of RTMs can be distinguished: µRTMs, which are connected to a mating front side module, and eRTMs, which can be operated independently via a Zone2 connector to an LLRF-Backplane.
The NAT-MCH-RTM is a µRTM and serves as an extension of the NAT-MCH-PHYS80. It is available in several variants, all of them are COMExpress carriers and can be fitted with one of the following Type-6 modules supported by N.A.T. (others on request):
- NAT-MCH-COMex-Ce-16: Celeron G-4932E dual core CPU with CM246 chipset and 2x 8GB DDR4 ECC
- NAT-MCH-COMex-i3-16: Core i3® 9100HL quad core CPU with CM246 chipset and 2x 16GB DDR4 ECC
- NAT-MCH-COMex-XE-32: Xeon® E3 E-2276ML six core CPU with CM246 chipset and 2x 16GB DDR4 ECC
Via the Zone3-Connector, the COMExpress-Module has access to a x16 PCIe Gen3 path, a GbE connection, and two SATA connections to the SSD(s) of the NAT-MCH-PHYS80. This makes the NAT-MCH-RTM with ComExpress-Module a fully featured replacement for a Processor AMC – including PCIe Root Complex functionality – without populating an AMC slot.
When used together with its RTM, the NAT-MCH-PHYS80 also connects the COMExpress-Module CPU with a x16 link to the PCIe Gen3 switch. As the fully user-accessible Intel CPU on the NAT-MCH-RTM can act as a PCIe root complex, this x16 PCIe link overcomes the bottle neck between the root complex and many PCIe based I/O payload AMCs, which in most MTCA.4 systems are connected by a x4 link only.
The NAT-MCH-PHYS80 can be equipped with SSD storage that will then turn the combination of NAT-MCH-PHYS80 and NAT-MCH-RTM with a COMExpress-Module into a true single-slot fully user-accessible root complex at PCIe Gen3 speed.
MTCA.4.1 allows the use of an optional LLRF-Backplane behind the standard AMC-Backplane. One of its purposes is to distribute high precision RF- and CLK signals among eRTMs and standard RTMs. Moreover, it allows managing eRTMs as well as µRTMs.
The NAT-MCH-PHYS80 together with the NAT-MCH-RTM-BM can handle up to two RPMs (Rear Power Modules), such as NAT-RPM-AC600 (providing variable bipolar voltages for the LLRF backplane) or any standard MTCA power supply.
The NAT-MCH-RTM-BM-FPGA provides the same functionality as the -BM option, but due to the additional FPGA offers a wide spectrum for user specific applications.
- Double full-size Rear Transition Module and COMExpress Carrier for any type of COMEx Type-6 module validated by N.A.T.
CPU (on COMEx)
- Celeron® G-4932E
- Core i3® 9100HL
- Xeon® E3 E-2276ML
- (others on request)
FPGA (NAT-MCH-RTM-BM-FPGA only)
- Xilinx Zynq-7000 SoC
Memory (on COMex)
- ECC and Non-ECC for 2x 8GB up to 2x 32GB DDR4
Rear Panel Connections (via COMex)
- 2x DisplayPort (high resolution graphics)
- 4x USB3.0
- 1x 1GbE
- 2x SATA connection to two SSD slots on NAT-MCH-PHYS80
- One x16 PCIe Gen3 link to fat pipe switch (Fabrics D-S) on NAT-MCH-PHYS80
- One 1GbE connection to GbE switch (Fabric A) on NAT-MCH-PHYS80
- I²C interface to EEPROM
- IPMI to two Rear Power Modules
- IPMI to three eRTMs, which have no connection to front AMCs
- 1x standard SATA-SSD (2.5“) with 128 GB mounted on NAT-MCH-PHYS80
- 2x half-slim SATA-SSD in RAID mode on request mounted on NAT-MCH-PHYS80
- WindRiver O/S (VxWorks, Linux, Hypervisor)
With COMex Type 6 board with Celeron 2 core G-4932G CPU including 2* 8GB-DDR4 RAM with ECC and CM246 chipset 25 W TDP (SSD is a separate order item)
With COMex Type 6 board with i3 4 core 9100HL CPU including 2* 8GB-DDR4 RAM with ECC and CM246 chipset 25 W TDP (SSD is a separate order item)
With COMex Type 6 board with XEON 6 core E-2276ML CPU including 2* 16GB-DDR4 RAM with ECC and CM246 chipset 25 W TDP
Double full-size rear transition module and COM Express carrier plus Backplane Management and Zone2 connector for µRTM backplanes e.g. LLRF backplane
As -RTM-BM plus ZYNQ-FPGA for user specific applications
COM Express module Type 6 with Quad Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 (E3-1505LV5 25W 4c/8t HDP530 2.0GHz 8MB incl. ECC up to 16 GB DDR3-1066)
Solutions / Applications
- High energy physics research
- Energy industry
- Industrial automation
- Civil aviation
- Research & development