Fast Timing System with pico-second Solution
The NAMC-psTimer is an AMC based Fast Timing System with a pico-second stable clock for usage in the MicroTCA.4 architecture. Its main purpose is to output triggers and clock signals, which may be based on local stand-alone configuration, or information provided by a global timing system installation.
Intentionally, it is designed timing systems for large installations such as the European XFEL (X-Ray Free Electron Laser) in Hamburg, Germany, but it can be used in a single stand-alone setup as well. Clocks and triggers are programmed and generated by a master module and distributed in a multi-star topology. All triggers within the entire timing system are synchronized with a jitter of approximately 10ps.
In addition to the distribution of triggers and clocks, the system is able to distribute data words and tables through its fiber distribution network. A precision 1.3GHz clock with modulated data is used on the fiber links. Receivers can recover both clock and data. Synchronized dividers are used to generate local clocks at the receivers.
The receiver has 23 programmable outputs:
- Trigger with delay
- Immediate or delayed trigger events
- Gates between trigger events
- Slow clocks
- Two different slow data protocols
- Fast data protocol
The number of output triggers and clock signals can be extended by adding an RTM, e.g. the NAMC-psTimer-RTM-C (copper).
- AMC form factor, double mid-size
- Can be used as transmitter or receiver module
- Delivers precision clocks on TCLKA and TCLKB
- Provides triggers, gates, clocks, or data on M-LVDS ports 17-20
- 3x RJ45 outputs at front panel with 2 triggers and one precision clock as LVDS signals
- trigger position: 0 .. 160ms delay, 1ns resolution
- trigger width: 0 .. 160ms, 10ns resolution
- up to 255 trigger event numbers
- precision clocks: 2.5 .. 650MHz
- optional RTM with up to 9 additional triggers
- optional RTM with up to 9 fiber links
- clock and trigger jitter: ~10ps RMS
- transmitter is implemented on a mezzanine with 3 channels with or without drift compensation (order option)
|–||Double mid-size AMC with pico second (ps) exact timer, delivering precision clocks on TCLKA and TCLKB – can be used as a transmitter or receiver module (FP1DM)|
Piggyback mezzanine with additional 3 direct connections without line compensation to extend the NAMC-psTimer to 4 fiber transmitter outputs
Solutions / Applications
- Large Timing system installations
- Other application with high demands on precision, pico-second stable timing