Double-width MTCA Carrier Hub for physics applications
The NAT-MCH-PHYS and NAT-MCH-PHYS80 both are MicroTCA (MTCA) Carrier Hubs (MCH) in the form factor of a double width, full-size Advanced Mezzanine Card (AMC) dedicated to MicroTCA.4 (MTCA.4) systems. As MicroTCA Carrier Hubs they provide the central management and data switching entity for any MicroTCA.4 system. The NAT-MCHs comprise of a base module (named NAT-MCH-M4) and numerous optional daughter cards which can be mounted on the base module.
The NAT-MCH-PHYS and NAT-MCH-PHYS80 offer power and system management for MTCA.4 systems with up to 12 AMCs (13 in a non-redundant system without 2nd MCH), support for up to two Cooling Units and up to four Power Modules, which can be configured in various (redundant) configurations.
The double-width base module NAT-MCH-M4 makes the NAT-MCH-PHYS and NAT-MCH-PHYS80 the ideal choice for an MCH for a MicroTCA.4 (MTCA.4) system, whereas its single-width bother NAT-MCH aims for applications in MTCA.0 form factor. Functionally both variants are identical in most parts, however, the NAT-MCH-M4 provides the option for a Zone3 connector and mounting space for two SATA-HDDs, both useable in combination with an optional NAT-MCH-RTM.
Generally, both base modules offer Gigabit Ethernet supporting port-based and tagged VLAN, Rapid Spanning Tree, as well as a port-based rate control via Fabric A. It also provides uplink ports on the front panel to interconnect to other systems.
For advanced clocking switching and distribution, a separate clock module can be mounted on the MCH base board:
- The NAT-MCH-CLK mezzanine is a clock distribution module available in several variants. It features an onboard Stratum 3 type PLL, which can be locked on a clock signal coming from any AMC in the MTCA system. The front panel SMA connectors can be used to provide the internal clock to external devices or vice versa.
- The NAT-MCH-CLK-PHYS mezzanine is a specialized clock module for physics applications, but is also ideally suited for uses cases, which demand a low-jitter and low-latency clock functionality.
If the base board is equipped with one of the HUB-Modules, PCIe or Ethernet are supported via Fabrics D-G towards the backplane and an optional front uplink.
- The NAT-HUB-E HUB Modules are available in several variants. Depending on the chosen option, the module provides twelve ports of up to 40GbE to the backplane and three optical uplinks of up to 100GbE towards the front panel. Thus, this HUB-Module is highly suitable for applications demanding highest bandwidth Ethernet in MTCA towards the backplane and the front panel. XAUI support is available as an option, too.
- The NAT-MCH-PCIEx48 HUB-Module provides an PCIe Gen3 x1/x4 link to each of the 12 AMCs in an MTCA system. This HUB-module is used with the NAT-MCH-PHYS.
- The NAT-MCH-PCIex80 HUB-Module features an PCIe Gen3 x1/x4 link to each of the 12 AMCs in an MTCA system, two x8 or one x16 towards the front panel (option), and one x16 link towards an optional RTM. This HUB-module is used with the NAT-MCH-PHYS80.
Unlike its companion NAT-MCH-PHYS, the NAT-MCH-PHYS80 supports Rear Transition Modules (RTM) and thus offers the possibility to connect to a µRTM-Backplane, the NAT-LLRF-Backplane. This backplane is an auxiliary backplane which is mounted behind the standard MTCA.4 backplane and allows to interconnect RTMs which would else be connected to their corresponding AMCs only.
CPU and Memory
IPMI and Compliance
Supported Fabrics and Compliance
Fabric A: GigaBit Ethernet switching
Fabrics D-G: PCIe Gen3
- X1 or x4 to 12 AMCs
- One x16 or two x8 to optical uplink (optional)
- x16 to RTM or to one AMC slot (requires backplane support)
Clock Distribution with NAT-MCH-CLK-PHYS
- CLK1 and CLK2 by special low jitter and low latency circuitry (NAT-MCH-CLK-PHYS)
- CLK3 fixed mean 100MHz PCIe clock (HCSL)
- Management of up to 13 AMCs, 4 Cooling Units, and 1-4 Power Modules
- Supports redundant architectures and fail-over procedure
- Support configurable emergency shutdown of AMCs or entire system
Shelf and System Manager
- For detached or stand-alone operation both managers are available on-board, hook-in for external managers via 1GbE port at front panel
Operating System and API
- 3 standard AMC LEDs
- 12 bi-colored LEDs for AMC slot states
- 2 bi-colored LEDs for Cooling Units
- 4 bi-colored LEDs for Power Modules
- 13 bi-colored LEDs for PCIe link status (failed, Gen1, Gen2, or Gen3)
Front Panel Connectors
- 2x 1GbE for management connection and Fabric A system up-link (load sharing supported)
- External clock reference (bi-directional)
- Serial and USB debug connector (console)
- Fabric D-G uplink (two x8 or one x16)
Double, full-size NAT-MCH with 16 port GbE switch, 48 port PCIe Gen3, and CLK-PHYS module
Double, full-size NAT-MCH with 16 port GbE switch, 80 port PCIe Gen3, and CLK-PHYS module
like -PHYS80 with additional eight optical uplinks for PCIe
like -PHYS80 with additional sixteen optical uplinks (either two x8 or one x16) for PCIe
|NAT-MCH-PCIECABO||fibre uplink cable for PCIe uplink|
|PCIe card terminating PCIe uplink|
Solutions / Applications
- High energy physics
- Energy industry
- Industrial automation
- Civil aviation
- Research and development
- Any other MTCA.4 application with high demands on precision and timing